The beauty of blooms may be fleeting, but flower lovers would do anything if it means holding on to them a little bit longer. The penny-in-the-vase trick is an old wives' tale constantly linked to preserving your beautiful floral arrangements. Is there some truth to this, or is it all just a myth? Let's find out.
Penny for Flowers: What's the Logic Behind This?
- Copper as an Algicide
Pennies minted before 1982 in the United States comprised 95% copper. Copper acts as an algicide, which can help prevent algae from growing in the water. Algae can clog the stem's water uptake channels, which hampers the flower's hydration. Keeping the water cleaner gives it the hydration it needs to open up and flourish.
- Copper as a Mild Acidifier
Copper can also slightly acidify the water, making it a less favorable environment for bacterial growth. Bacteria in the water can lead to premature wilting of the flowers.
Does it Force Tulips to Open?
No. While the penny might help maintain the water's cleanliness, it isn't a direct agent in forcing the tulip buds to open faster.
Other Points to Remember:
- Newer Pennies: Pennies minted after 1982 have a core made of zinc with only a thin copper coating, which means they contain significantly less copper and could make them less effective in the vase.
- Alternative Methods: If you're looking to reduce bacterial growth in vase water, consider using flower food packets that often come with bouquets, or a tiny splash of bleach.
- Potential Risks: Copper can be toxic to plants in higher concentrations. However, the amount released by a penny in a vase is minimal, but it's a good idea to avoid adding multiple coins at the same time.
- Opt for Sturdier Flowers - Your choice of blooms matters when determining their shelf life. Cut flowers proven to last the longest include orchids, zinnias, chrysanthemums, carnations, and casa blanca lilies.
Long-lasting Floral Arrangements for Same-Day Flower Delivery
Putting a copper penny in your flower vase is a trick worth trying, but it's not a surefire way. Always use a reputable florist that uses only the freshest cut blooms in new floral arrangements daily. At Orchid Republic Floral Boutique, our orchids and flowers are ethically sourced and delivered from local SoCal flower farms and expertly arranged by our seasoned florists to perfection in our workshop every single day. We can guarantee that our signature arrangements only use the finest blooms and materials, letting customers enjoy them for several days.
Discover floral luxury today. Shop flowers online and get same-day delivery anywhere in Los Angeles and Orange County.