Instead of Halloween, the Latin community celebrates Dia De Los Muertos or the “Day of the Dead.” Far from the grim and spooky vibe, we associate the century-old tradition with, this iconic Mexican holiday is a vibrant, colorful, and festive celebration in memory of family and friends who have since crossed over to the land of the dead.
Dia De Los Muertos does not only take place in Mexico but all over the world as well. In Los Angeles, the ancient tradition is very much alive, with numerous events happening simultaneously all over town for at least nine days until the 1st and 2nd of November.
Dia de los Muertos in L.A.
Here are just 10 of the best things to do and places to be at around Los Angeles for Dia De Los Muertos.
- Visit Olvera Street, a popular tourist attraction in Downtown LA, for an authentic Dia De Los Muertos festival experience.
- Watch theatrical and musical performances while having all the homemade tamales you can eat and making your own ofrenda in a graveyard at 24th Street Theatre.
- Get a sugar skull face painting and attend free family-friendly activities at branches of the Los Angeles Public Library.
- Drop by the Dia de Los Muertos Art Exhibit of The Junior Art Center at Barnsdall Art Park. In photo: Endless Sunsets
- Channel your inner Latina at the Poderosas Para Siempre: A Celebration of Women Past & Present.
- See 100 ofrendas and traditional Aztec processions at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
- Catch a glimpse of the local artists' contemporary take on the Mexican ofrendas and altars at the Grand Park.
- Day of the Dead folk tales, myths, and legends, plus fresh tamales, tacos, pan de muerto, and aquas frescas, and a special appearance by the iconic La Catrina at the Woodlawn Cemetry.
- Shop art in the Artist Village and sample Mexican cuisines at the historic Downtown San Pedro.
- Catch the Mariachi De Uclatlán concert featuring world-class mariachi bands at the Fowler Museum.
In photo: Autumn's Quintessence
Spooky but Stylish Flowers for Day of the Dead
Orchid Republic offers stunning floral arrangements for all ocassions. We have hauntingly beautiful bouquets that are perfect for honoring loved ones whether at home or cemeteries or decorating your interiors.
Make everyday extra special with our stunning autumn flowers. Shop our new collection today!