Memorial Day is one of the most significant national holidays for Americans because it honors our bravest men and women who have died while serving the United States Armed Forces. It is celebrated on the last Monday of May of each year and shouldn’t be confused with Veterans Day, which is observed every November 11.
Dubbed as the unofficial start of the exciting summer season, Memorial Day celebrations usually become a three-day-long weekend spent with friends and family. If you’ve had a tough week, it’s the best way to catch up on some rest and relaxation or to bring in some fun-filled activities into your schedule.
Can’t go far? No problem! We’ll give you several brilliant ideas on how to spend your Memorial Day in Los Angeles.
Memorial Day Parade
Catch the Annual Memorial Day Parade, which is a colorful tradition showcasing creative floats, marching bands music, and people having fun. This year’s event will happen at 11:00. The route will take Sherman Way, starting at Owensmouth through Mason.
Visit the gorgeous gardens of Los Angeles
We may have said this a million times and we’re willing to say it a million times more! Flowers are the fastest way to make anyone smile. If you want to just slow down and surround yourself with beautiful things, we suggest carving out a time out of the three-day holiday to visit the local botanical gardens in the city.
Take your pick:
- Descanso Gardens – 1418 Descanso Drive La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011
- The Huntington Botanical Gardens – 1151 Oxford Road San Marino, CA 91108
- Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden – 301 N. Baldwin Ave. Arcadia, CA 91007
- Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Garden – 5333 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90027
We are especially swooning over the Tropical Greenhouse at The Arboretum, which boasts of many colorful orchid plants and which claims to have one of the largest orchid collections in the country. The Grace Kallam Perennial Garden is also a must-see spot known for its stunning flowers and foliage.
Have a barbeque
Dust off your grill and take it out for the first time this summer. Invite a few of your friends and family over. Tell them it’s potluck style, so you won't end up having to stress over the preps too much.
Ride a bike
Did you know? May is also National Bike Month. What better way to make the most out of this month than to take your old bike out for a ride. Pick one of Los Angeles’ scenic routes and have a breathtaking cardio activity.
Hit the beach
📷 @witness | "I had big dreams when I was a boy. And I can't say that I never saw a beach house in Malibu in those dreams." - Pierce Brosnan 😎 | P.S. Tap link in bio to show us some love and vote for us in @thewebbyawards "Social - Culture & Lifestyle" category and the "Advertising - Real-Time Response Campaign" category ❤😎 #discoverLA
Who needs to hop on a plane just to see pristine beaches when you’re living in L.A.? We’ve got Huntington City Beach, Point Mugu State Park, and Cabrillo Beach (which also boasts a delightful aquarium) to choose from. Drive there early in the morning to avoid the hassle of parking, pack a picnic filled with healthy and budget-friendly eats, and you’re good to go.
Go local festival hopping
Probably an interesting way to get to know the City of Angels’ rich, diverse, and beautiful cultures up close over one weekend is by attending the local festivals around the area.
- Eat Drink Vegan – Previously known as the LA Vegan Beer and Food Festival, Eat Drink Vegan, this event is going to be filled with over 75 breweries, wine, kombucha (a fermented, fizzy, and probiotic-rich drink), and cold-brew vendors. As the name suggests, it’ll also be a gastronomic paradise of vegan eats. This will be held at the Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday, May 26.
- Fiesta Hermosa – A bit of the artsy type, or at least know someone who is and who’s worth spending a weekend with? Then this is your jam. Fiesta Hermosa claims to be the largest arts and crafts fair in all of Southern California. Feast your eyes at the works of over 300 artists – painters, photographers, ceramicists, jewelry artisans, sculptors, and more. Plus delicious food to fuel your shopping spree, the picturesque downtown Hermosa Beach as your backdrop, and entrance is absolutely free.
- The Garden Grove Strawberry Festival – Are you a sucker for celebrities? Because we are! Take the whole family to this sweet local festival, which is a four-day occasion that starts Friday, May 25 all the way to Memorial Day Monday. It has a strawberry parade, strawberry shortcakes for everyone, rides and attractions for the kids and the young at heart, and appearances of local celebrities.
Be patriotic in your own little way
Some people hang American flags on their doors or front porch to show their patriotic spirits on federal holidays like this. You can do that along with other cooler and creative ways. Hosting a little Memorial Day party? Remember, the theme is red, white, and blue.
Whip up an irresistible dessert decorated with red strawberries, raspberries, or cherries, white cream or cream cheese, and blueberries, too? This will surely be a treat to all your guests.
When it comes to decors you can either go for crepe papers and balloons or fill your home with Memorial Day inspired flower arrangements. The latter makes a thoughtful gift idea, too, should you be invited to one.
You can drop by the Orchid Republic flagship store in Sherman Oaks or call us to make a flower delivery in Los Angeles.
Got more Memorial Day celebration ideas? Tell us about them in the comments below.