Most women love flower arrangements. Yes, there will be some rare breeds who will say they don’t, although they can’t deny they’d be delighted if someone special sends them one.
As Rebecca Cole, author of Flower Power and co-host of Discovery Channel’s Surprise by Design, eloquently puts it, “If the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, then the pathway to a woman’s heart is through her other senses.”
In her book, Cole offered a series of tips on how men do it right when it comes to picking the perfect flowers for all the women in your life – whether it’s your mom, your wife, your girlfriend, or a good friend.
Why and when should you give a woman flower?
- Birthdays – This perhaps applies only to your mom, sister, and significant other. To a friend, not so much, unless you’re secretly in love with her.
- Anniversaries – Every year, without a fail.
- Valentine’s Day – No explanation needed, right?
- You’re sorry – The best peace offering ever.
- Just because – Random sweetness will get you places.
- On a date – Maybe not the first date if you’re scared she’ll freak out or if you have a thing about commitments, but perhaps on the second or third or fourth, or on that date when you’ve decided you really want to sweep her off her feet.
What kind of flower?
Because they’re a classic, they’re sustainable, meaning they’re always available. You don’t have to hunt down every flower shop just to get hold of them. But be more creative, go for garden roses, which are just as gorgeous as peonies but cheaper.
They look elegant and smell nice too. Plus, some women prefer big, eccentric-looking flowers.
If you want to cheer up or wish someone to get well soon but don’t send the wrong message. Remember, yellow equals friendship.
These blooms are an excellent choice too because they come in bright colors and affordable as well.
They’re a sophisticated choice, possess timeless beauty, and can last long if in pots. Michael Gaffney, Director of the New York School of Flower Design, says, "If someone gives you orchids, they're a little wilder than the person who goes for a dozen roses."
Choosing the flower color
There is a lot written about flower colors and what they supposedly mean. But here are the basics:
- Red – love, passion, desire
- Pink – Appreciation, admiration, beauty, gratitude
- Yellow – Friendship, best wishes, caring, get well soon
- Orange – Desire, passion, energy
- White – Innocence, purity, happy love
- Blue – Peace, serenity
- Purple – Royalty, success
- Green – Health, good fortune, youth
Selecting the style of flower arrangement
The celebrity flower expert recommends sticking to these three:
- Monobotanic – A flower arrangement that uses only a single type of flower. Roses, peonies, tulips, and orchids are all excellent choices.
- Monochromatic – A single color in varying grades or shades.
- Bunches of texture – A flower arrangement featuring complimentary flowers of mixed texture.
Cole stresses that with flowers, it’s almost impossible to go wrong. But if still in doubt, you can always ask your florist about the current trends or flowers in season. They’re always more than willing to help.
A few more tips:
- A frequent sender of flowers and your girl’s already complaining? How about you shake things up? Send her a stunning gift box filled with her favorite perfume or chocolate?
- Surprise flower deliveries even when there’s no special occasion are always the sweetest.
- Never forget to put a card with the flowers. That’s the “thought” that would count more.
- Pay attention to “hints” she may be dropping during your casual talks, like her favorite flowers, colors, etc.
Ready to send flowers to your lady? Shop flowers online or get in touch with the Orchid Republic team today! We offer same-day flower delivery in Los Angeles and Orange County.