A flower in and of itself is a masterpiece of nature. The process of flower arrangement, however, is a higher and more rewarding form of art to a lot of people, flower aficionados and professional florists, for example. The instinctive pairing of different types, colors, sizes, and whatnots of flowers and foliage, while intimidating to some, can be therapeutic believe it or not.
As with all matters in life, knowing the basics is essential to kickstart your own flower arrangement adventures. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with following your gut and doing a freestyle flower arrangement, learning the fundamentals will help you refine your style and in the end maybe even give yourself a pat on the back, because for all we know, you may already be incorporating some of these styles in your arrangements without even knowing it.
INFLUENCES IN FLOWER ARRANGEMENT
Basically, there are cultures that broadly influence the art of flower arrangement:
- Oriental – The focus is on lines
- Traditional or Western – The focus is on the use of a variety of flowers as a whole
- Contemporary – Leaning more towards Oriental, but greatly depends on the personal style and taste of the florist or designer.
PRINCIPLES OF FLORAL DESIGN
Just like painting, sculpture, and other disciplines of fine arts, there are different principles of design in every flower arrangement. These include:
- Design or visual pattern
- Balance of various elements
POPULAR TYPES of FLORAL ARRANGEMENT
Some of the classic and most commonly used flower arrangements include:
- Fan-shaped flower arrangement
- Elliptical flower arrangement
- Vertical flower arrangement
- Horizontal flower arrangement
- Triangular flower arrangement
- Crescent flower arrangement
- Cascading flower arrangement
Browse through our flower collections and spot these styles in our flower arrangements. Leave a comment or tweet us a picture below.