We often hear people who find that growing flowers makes them feel good and actually call them therapeutic. We’re no strangers, too, to that instantaneous wonderful feeling we get when we see a gorgeous bouquet of flower arrangement delivered right to our doorstep. Could it be true that flowers have, in fact, a positive effect on our emotional well-being?
Flowers Make Us Happy
A study from Rutgers University done in 2005 did a 10-month long study to find. In search of the connection between flowers and life satisfaction, researchers closely observed how participants respond behaviorally and emotionally when they receive fresh flowers in various scenarios. The results were astounding, actually scientifically backing up our hunch.
"Common sense tells us that flowers make us happy," said Dr. Haviland-Jones, one of the researchers. "Now, science shows that not only do flowers make us happier than we know, but they also have strong positive effects on our emotional well-being."
Emotional Benefits of Fresh Flowers
The study concludes that flowers do have immediate and long-term effects on emotional reactions, moods, social behaviors, and even memory in both men and women. They naturally trigger positive emotions.
As a matter of fact, the mere presence of flowers has been found to:
- Instantly increase happiness
- Reduce anxiety, agitation, and other symptoms of depression
- Encourage connection with friends and family
In addition, the Rutgers study also revealed that fresh flowers also evoke light, bright, and happy vibes in guests who enter entertaining areas around the home open to visitors, say, the living room or the dining room, where fresh flower arrangements are the focal point because they make it more inviting and create an atmosphere of sharing.
More Flower Happiness Tips
Who knew flowers may actually be the secret to our happiness? To get most out the emotional perks from flowers, try these simple tips:
- Take a break and smell the roses – or any flower for that matter. When you’re feeling stressed or jittery, whether at home or in the office, watering the plants or just taking a walk in your garden or a park nearby will help you relax and clear up your mind of any negativity.
- Use flowers as an au naturel happy pill when you’re sick or sad. Feeling blue or under the weather? A bouquet of exquisite orchid arrangements on your desk or bedside table will make you feel tons better.
- Share the secret. Know a friend or loved one who’s either sick, grieving, or having a bad day? A basket of big and bright sunflowers will surely lift their spirits up.
Smile even wider with flowers when you check out our latest collection today! Shop flowers online. Orchid Republic guarantee same-day flower delivery in Los Angeles and Orange County.
Leave a comment